Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default Adding to the ranks

On 5/11/2018 3:18 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 5/11/18 10:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Now I have 3, an 85 horse and a 140 horse Evinrude, also a guy just
gave me a really nice 115 hp Mercury 115 “tower of power” .* Yes,...
gave me. Though obsolete,these* 2-cycle engines are mechanically sound
and trustworthy.

I’ve found another 30’ r only this time it’s a tri-toon., minus an
engine. For doing a lot no range river cruise (approx 300 mile 1way)
I’m wondering which power would best be suited between the 115 merc or
the 140 Evinrude.
I really doubt one would be more economical than the other. But seeing
I’m not paying forvengines there’s lots of room on the card for fuel.
Decisions decisions...

Is that 3 hp one of those delightful Evinrude Lightwins from the early
1950s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_HmhZVQUwI

Ah, memories. I had one very similar to that one on my first boat, a
Sears aluminum 12 footer. I was only about 8 or 9 years old and spent
all day riding around or trolling for fish in it. I remember the lever
for the speed control and constantly fooling with the rich/lean knob to
get max RPM.

It finally died and was replaced with an equally as old 5 horse Johnson.

In many ways those days with little boats and little outboards were just
as much fun and have just as fond memories in my mind as the big, diesel
powered boats that came later.