Scout

Default Foul Weather Sailing

CM,
I suppose with a million volts and more, it probably doesn't matter that the
chain links may have very little contact area with each other. Hell, I could
easily attach my anchor chain to a stay, and leave the anchor drag as
conductive plate in the water. Never thought of that.
I was wondering though, if cables wouldn't be a better conductor. I'm also
wondering: given the right system, wouldn't a sailboat (or at least the
passengers) be safer than those on a motorboat with no system to divert a
strike?
I saw a man get hit and killed by lightning while he was loading a
motorcycle into the back of his pickup truck. Truthfully, the image stays
with a person. His eyes looked like a couple of fried eggs. I get more
than a bit nervous thinking about sailing around with a virtual sign that
says, "Hey lightning, over here! pick me!"
Scout

"Capt. Mooron" wrote
I heard of chains on the shrouds and stays.... really... what's next...

telescopic mast?

CM