Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default Salesman lesson for Don White

On 4/21/2018 10:25 PM, Alex wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 17:35:55 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Mr. Luddite
Damn thing has a display as big as my bedroom TV filled with
"stuff" to turn on/off or adjust.Â* Told her to be careful with it and
keep her eyes on the road.

It has a peppy V6 but also has the feature that turns the engine
off when you stop for a red light or something.Â* Starts up again
when you take your foot off the brake.

Fortunately, there's a button that allows you to disable that
feature.Â* It would drive me nuts.

I remember vw experimented with that feature in the early 70s. It was
a ploy to raise overall fueled economy and cut pollution.Â* Didn’t go
over well.
I see Jeep is offering it as well as offering a solution if you want
out.

GM tried the 4-6-8 feature too where they started blocking off
cylinders and that went away pretty fast too.

Mercury outboards (holy **** - an on-topic post!) has/had some 4
cylinder engines that worked the same way.Â* When the other two cylinders
kicked in it was quite abrupt.

Yup. I had one. Under about 2,000 RPM it ran on two cylinders. Above
that, the other two kicked in. Almost threw me out of my 16' Boston
Whaler the first time I kicked up the throttle leaving Scituate Harbor.

That was a terrible motor. It was a two stroke and had a large plastic
reservoir under the cowling that you filled with 2 stroke oil that was
automatically mixed with straight gas from the gas tank. That was fine
but whenever you tilted the engine up it leaked oil all over the place.
I could never determine where it was coming from.