Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default Salesman lesson for Don White

On 4/21/2018 10:05 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 17:35:55 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Mr. Luddite
Damn thing has a display as big as my bedroom TV filled with
"stuff" to turn on/off or adjust. Told her to be careful with it and
keep her eyes on the road.

It has a peppy V6 but also has the feature that turns the engine
off when you stop for a red light or something. Starts up again
when you take your foot off the brake.

Fortunately, there's a button that allows you to disable that
feature. It would drive me nuts.

I remember vw experimented with that feature in the early 70s. It was a ploy to raise overall fueled economy and cut pollution. Didn’t go over well.
I see Jeep is offering it as well as offering a solution if you want out.

GM tried the 4-6-8 feature too where they started blocking off
cylinders and that went away pretty fast too.

I knew a guy who had that system in a Caddy. It was terrible. The
switching was very noticeable and it was problem prone.

The one in my truck seems to work well. It just cuts out two cylinders
under light load conditions. If it wasn't for a little indicator on the
driver's display that says "V6" or "V4" you don't even know it's
happening. In fact, I didn't know it did it when I first got the truck.
I thought I was going nuts one day because I noticed the display
indicated "V4" and was a different color when it normally is "V6".
I initially thought something was wrong with the truck until I
reluctantly dug out the owner's manual and read about it.