Simple Simon

Default newbie tacking question

My wind guage can ONLY read the apparent wind because
without a speed log connected to its NMEA it knows nothing
else.

There should be no problem tacking through 60 degrees of
apparent wind provided the boat is weatherly. This may well
be 90 degrees of true wind.

However, the subscriber also is referring to apparent wind
as this is ALL he is aware of while he is aboard.

Therefore, my answer is valid and seamanlike and yours
is not.

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message ...
Sorry Neal, you've just proved you know nothing about sailing.

Perhaps you should open your "Idiot's Guide to Sailing" and refer to the section on
"Apparent Wind." Since you've claimed your instrumentation does not include a speed log,
your wind gauge must be reading the apparent wind angle - and 30 degrees is a reasonable
number. However, the question was about "tacking through" a certain number of degrees,
and specifically referenced compass courses, this can only refer to true wind angles,
where 90-100 degrees is not unreasonable.

As to the original question, with practice it should be possible to tack without
"overshooting," but in light air some boat will recover the lost speed better by
overshooting somewhat and then bringing it back to the desired course. This is especially
true in smaller boats and choppy water.

-jeff

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
You should have looked at the picture on my website
where the gauge shows my yacht close-hauled at 30
degrees. That's what a good modern boat with an
experienced sailor at the helm can do as a matter of
routine.

"Oz1" wrote in message

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:13:01 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

There's something wrong with your boat.

I can tack through only 60 degrees in light winds.

Yeah right,
Do you actually move forward after the tack?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.