Simple Simon

Default how a sail works, who can help me explain?

I think you should do a little research into Bernouilli and Venturi.

"PIM" wrote in message ...

"Simple Simon" wrote
The convex side of the sail or the leeward side directs the air
over a longer path. This longer path for the air lowers the pressure
because said air must move faster to cover the increased cord.
Faster flow equals lower pressure. This low pressure combined
with the normal or slightly increased pressure on the windward
side is what creates lift.

Dear Simon,
I am not neglecting what happens on the leeward of the sail,
the leeward of the sail is also deflecting air and thereby creating lift.
as I am explaining in www.sailtheory.com/sail.html

According the "longer path theory" you use it would not matter how
much you pull your sail in, since there is always the same difference
in pathlength between windward and leeward.
Please read www.sailtheory.com/wrongtheory.html for more examples
why it is wrong.

The "longer path theory" is not easy to use and is wrong.
It is the reason I started my site.
Clearly I am not clear enough at this point

Many agree with me that the longer path theory is wrong:
jeff raskin:
http://tinylink.com/?RD9ntJyTuz
university frankfurt (under 2.2)
http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt..../MIS/mis6.html
University of washinton:
http://www.aa.washington.edu/faculty/eberhardt/lift.htm
Bill beaty:
http://www.amasci.com/miscon/miscon4.html#wing

And so do the most aerodynamicists as far as I know.

I tried to adjust above theories from a wing into a sail.

Best Regards

Pim

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu