Its Me Its Me is offline

Default Amazon prime TV

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 7:32:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 11:43:26 -0800 (PST), Its Me
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 2:01:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:08:09 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 2/28/2018 11:56 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 08:30:54 -0800 (PST), Its Me
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 12:15:32 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/27/2018 10:37 PM, Its Me wrote:
On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 9:13:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 01:37:19 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Our problem is we are in a valley. I am about 140’ above the valley
floor, but still the hills limit a lot of signals.

I am not sure why OTA sucks so bad here. OI am 30 miles from the
towers and it is flat ground. Looking down the line on Google I don't
even see any big buildings, just trees. I do have one big live oak
right here. The antenna is 25 feet off the ground and I am afraid to
stick a lightning rod up much higher.

I am running this, with an amp
http://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2440/vhf-uhf-hdtv-60-mile-fringe-yagi/dp/88W2140?st=UHF%20antenna

How long is the cable coming down from the antenna, and what kind of cable? You get a lot of loss in that cable.

I kinda doubt that's his problem. The RF amp will more than make up for
any losses and actually there isn't much signal loss in the RF signal
cable anyway unless he has miles of it.

That's why I asked what kind of cable and how long. RG-6 can have upward of 6dB of loss per 100ft at upper UHF freqs, while the old RG-58 would be up around 16dB of loss. There's also loss at each connection point. As you point out, the signal is either on of off with digital TV, and UHF doesn't have long legs.

The cable is less than 50'

Doesn't say anything about having an RF amplifier. What are you using
and where is it located? The antenna's with the amp located in the
antenna rather than at the end of the down cable work best.

The amp is right next to the antenna (6 feet of RG-6 away)
It is a Holland 16 dB.
Good news is I cut all of the ends off and re terminated everything.
It seems to be better but still not what I should expect with the
antenna and amp I have. I am getting a solid 68-69% on the weakest
stations now (on the TiVo signal strength meter). The best is 88%.
Those are all on the 2 towers in the GE picture I posted. The others
are things I don't care about anyway. (Espanol, shopping and Jesus
channels)
The only one that looked bad at all was the one right at the antenna.
I gunked it up with silicone paste and we will see if it holds. If it
screws up again I will go up to my Comcast neighbor and have him make
me up one with snap and seal connectors. I am just too cheap to buy
that tool I guess. He owes me a favor anyway. I am fighting the city
for him about the race car in his driveway.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but your are using an inline amplifier with an indoor power inserter, and not a 16 dB attenuator, correct? As sharp as you seem to be with computers and electronics I sure wouldn't expect so, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I just didn't see a 16dB amp in their catalog. Looks like their

LA series amps are the ticket!

http://www.hollandelectronics.com/Holland_Catalog.pdf

Dunno, It looks like a model
HCDA-2