Default Bump stocks and trigger cranks

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 14:42:51 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 1/23/18 12:46 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 12:22:51 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/23/2018 12:15 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 11:27:54 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Received a letter today from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts advising
all gun license holders on record that as of February 1, 2018
the purchase, sale or offering for sale of a bump stock or trigger crank
is unlawful.

Furthermore, effective after 90 days of February 1, 2018, the new law
makes possession of either, regardless of what type of license you have
unlawful, including possession in a private home. Even if you hold a
machine gun license, bump stocks and trigger cranks are illegal to own
after the 90 day period.

The letter goes on to state that if you have either of these devices you
are required by law to contact your local police department or the
Massachusetts State Police to arrange to transfer them for destruction
by the police.

Retention of either beyond the 90 day period will expose the owner to
criminal prosecution.

Perhaps they need a lesson in constitutional law
"Article I Section 9 (3). No bill of attainder or ex post facto law
shall be passed."
The 14th amendment expanded that protection to laws made by states.

They can tax the hell out of them but "taking" them without "just
compensation" (5th amendment) is unconstitutional.

Plan on your state spending some time in court.

Heh. Greg, would you like the telephone number for the MA Secretary of
State or the AG's office? Perhaps you could educate them in
Constitutional Law.

Me? I couldn't care less. Don't have either of those devices and have
no interest in them.

I only care about the loss of fundamental rights and if a state can
suddenly make something illegal that used to be legal and confiscate
it, we are all in trouble. What's next?
BTW I expect NRA will be these soon enough

States have the ability to regulate. The prohibition against Bills of
Attainder does not prevent arrest. You can demand a trial.

You picked the wrong part. The thing that makes this unconstitutional
is the "ex post facto" law. If something was legal when you did it,
they can't come back on you after they made it illegal and if they
take your property, legally obtained, they have to compensate you.
These are rights granted in the constitution and the 14th amendment
expands them to include laws made by states.
They could give you $5 or something and make you sue them to prove
that was not "just compensation" but with the few number of plaintiffs
and the relatively low prices on these things in the first place that
probably will not attract a lawyer. That is why you need the NRA or
the ACLU to step in.
Somebody really needs to watch the government of they will just keep
chipping away at our rights and as Martin Niemölle so eloquently said,
eventually they will come for you. (or something you do care about)