Default 43 and a half hours without power...

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 17:34:11 -0800 (PST), True North
wrote:

On Sunday, 7 January 2018 12:48:44 UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 06:02:54 -0800 (PST), Its Me
wrote:

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 8:44:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 05:29:30 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I wonder if "White Gas" is still sold. As a kid I can remember my
father buying it at gas stations from a separate fuel pump.

===

If my memory is correct, the only difference with "white gas" was that
it was unleaded, and therefore suitable for cooking with a Coleman
camping stove and the like. These days all gasoline, except possibly
aviation fuel, is unleaded.

http://www.sears.com/coleman-guide-series-174-dual-fuel-8482-stove/p-00620895000P?sid=IDx01192011x202447779&gclid=EAIaI QobChMI9qz5zfzF2AIViLfACh3GDwRAEAQYBSABEgL0ifD_BwE &gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COqGpNf8xdgCFZYeHwodDGECQA

These were very popular back in the 50s but I haven't seen one in
years.

I used a propane version of one in the '80s. I still have a Coleman lantern that runs on white gas. You always had to keep a supply of the cloth mantles handy... one decent bump and it fell apart.

I still have 3 of those lanterns and one that runs on propane. I keep
a bag of mantels tied to the handle of each of them. We did use the
propane one during Irma for a little while until I got the generator
going. The mantel was still OK from Charley or I would not have fooled
with it.
Since then we got a LED lantern. I may be sending the Colemans to the
Smithsonian. I doubt the grand kids would know what they were or
understand why we had them. ;-)
I think the perfect combo would be a LED with a LiON battery that you
can recharge from the car or 120vAC. The problem is the battery would
probably be bad by the time you used it unless you were a camper.
Like I said, my Coleman was not used since 2004.
In that sense, D cells may still be the way to go. Again the problem
is what else uses D cells these days?

I was looking at my Coleman lantern with it's unused mantle stored in the basement for at least 25 years. They do give off a lot of heat besides light. i should see if naptha gas is available locally.

For the little bit of fuel they burn, you are about as well off just
buying Coleman fuel. I assume if it is still in the sealed can, it
lasts forever. I had an open can and I used it for shop solvent but I
still have a new one that has been here for 30 years.