Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default 43 and a half hours without power...

On 1/6/2018 2:16 PM, Tim wrote:
Keyser Soze
On 1/6/18 10:13 AM, True North wrote:
Now I'm ready to move on one of those Honda 2000 generators. Contacted both local dealerships and all 1000 and 2000 model generators were sold before I got there. D'oh.

Shipments on way from Montreal. These models are costly here...a hair over 1K for the smaller unit and just over 1.3K for the 2000 plus HST and a PDI and freight charge of $75.00. Outrageous...first that crap started with cars and then new boats. Now on generators??

By the way it was just below 45 degrees F inside our house this morning.
No country for girliemen Jack Goff.

Grim...

Very “grim” indeed. 2000w. won’t get you much 4500 will run a deep freezer and 2 refrigerators and struggle at that.
To do a comfortable job a person needs at least 6-8000

It takes a lot of energy to run a simple house...

My little 2000w Honda ran two, full sized refrigerators, a couple of
lights and a flat panel TV with no problem. I left it on the "eco" mode
(idle) and the only time it automatically reves up is when one of the
refrig compressors started. It would then drop back to idle. It has
never tripped.

During the last longer term outage a few years ago I'd wire it into the
furnace circuit for a while to heat the house. Then, I'd switch it back
to the refrigerators. Worked out good and burned less than 5 gals of
gas over a 4 day period with the generator running 24 hours.

The idle speed can still produces about 6 amps continuously. After the
initial current draw to start the compressor in a refrig, the draw drops
to under 2 amps typically. That's what is so nice about the inverter
type generators. They don't have to run at full speed to generate 120
volts at 60Hz and the fuel consumption is very low compared to the
contractor type generators that always run at 3600 rpm.