Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default 43 and a half hours without power...

On 1/6/2018 1:11 PM, True North wrote:
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 11:42:35 UTC-4, justan wrote:
True North Wrote in message:
Now I'm ready to move on one of those Honda 2000 generators. Contacted both local dealerships and all 1000 and 2000 model generators were sold before I got there. D'oh.

Shipments on way from Montreal. These models are costly here...a hair over 1K for the smaller unit and just over 1.3K for the 2000 plus HST and a PDI and freight charge of $75.00. Outrageous...first that crap started with cars and then new boats. Now on generators??

By the way it was just below 45 degrees F inside our house this morning.
No country for girliemen Jack Goff.

Bundle up real good. Have you put a deposit on a genset yet?
Better yet prepay for one and go to the head of the line. How is
your house heated? Please don't say elec. Have you protected your
pipes from freezing? How about your heating system? Watch out for
spoiled food in your freezer and fridge. Hopefully you are
keeping your dog warm.
Good luck, buddy.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Oops..meant to say we were back on power when I sent that message. Just work up from a snooze on the reclining chair...all this heat is getting to me.
We actually lost power early in the storm at 1505hrs on Thursday afternoon. Power company arrived quick enough..but only to secure the wire knocked down by a large tree branch a few hundred feet up the street. It took a full 24 hours for the city crew to show up to cut the big hanging tree limb down and then 3 power company trucks show up at 0720hrs this morning. Took them about 4 hours to fix whatever had to be fixed in very cold windy weather. I'm still waiting to see how our tropical fish fare. Spring Spaniel great but we put ont one of his jackets this morning. It was getting real cold inside and out. We do have electric baseboard heating. Thought it was a good clean, relatively cheap conversion from the former oil furnace (converted from coal in 1959) that only send warm air upwards through a floor grate in our entrance hallway. House built during WW2 and guy who owned it was tight with a dollar.
Anyway, all is good now but after losing power to a fallen limb and then Hurricane Juan back in 2003 and then this weeks storm, if may be time to prepare better....especially since winds keep getting stronger. (there's your Global Warming at work).
As far as the generator, I want something that is easilt transported. The ones left at the dealership were big and expensive..and heavy. One 2800w model roughly the same price as the 2000I weighed almost twice as much. Can't rely on the wife to carry her end on something like that anymore.

I've never used one of these but it might be worth looking into:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-23-800-BTU-Indoor-Kerosene-Portable-Heater-DH2304/100045793?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-204700349-_-100045793-_-N