Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default Flurries

On 1/4/2018 8:54 AM, John H wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 17:19:35 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 1/3/2018 2:28 PM, Its Me wrote:
Light flurries now, the predictions range from a dusting to 1-2 inches. Worse the closer to the coast you get. My BIL at James Island (Charleston) sent a picture earlier of maybe 1/4 inch and still falling. Very unusual for them.

It's out of here in a few hours and headed up the coast. Good luck!

Damn. I was hoping it would dump a foot in Mt. Pleasant, just to shut
my son up.

Last I heard it is supposed to "explode" as it comes up the coast,
becoming essentially a winter hurricane.

"Bombogenesis" is the technical term, and the popular "bomb cyclone" is a shortened version of it,
according to our weather folks.

Basically, around here we are screwed I think. Winds are already
picking up and it's been rain/sleet for the last two hours. But now the
temp is dropping quickly and is turning over to snow. Means all the
previous rain will freeze under 14" or more of heavy, wet snow.
Then the winds will peak with predictions of gusts exceeding 75 mph.

Nothing else to do but to hunker down and ride it out.

The Scituate Harbor area (where I used to keep boats) is going to be hit
particularly bad. It's prone to flooding to begin with but this storm's
timing is perfectly aligned with a historic high tide shortly after
noon. Predictions are for 5-6 feet of seawater on the main road through
the harbor district with 10-15 foot waves on top of that. Justin can
relate. It's going to be a mess.