View Single Post
  #5   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2011
Default Welcoming the New Year Halifax style...

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 10:51:29 UTC-4, Tim wrote:
Welcoming the New Year Halifax style...
8:17 AMTrue North
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...milo-1.4469389

There’s a few motorcycle Facebook pages I subscribe to, and these blokes talking about their cold weather rides.

40 years ago I rode my Cb500 Honda while snow was sifting across the interstate. I was bundled well but when it’s 12 above, the wind chill is phenomenal! I did it once he polar bear clubs are about as bad as the cold weather Honda freaks!

Happy New Years, Don!

Same to you Tim.
Actually, that local Polar Bear Swim idea was hatched by a group of regulars at the YMCA Weight Room way back when we all went there. I was too sensible to sign on!
A more historic and dignified tradition is the New Years Day Levees at various organizations..started by the French around 400 years ago. The big one is held at the Government House where you get to meet the Lt Governor and his wife and then munch and drink at his expense. Another popular one was in the Naval Dockyard where a rum flavoured drink called Moose Milk? was served. Haven't heard if this one is still operating. The weather was very cold yesterday but usually there are line-ups to get into the various levees around town..such as City Hall, St Mary's Glebe House, the Resolute Club etc.