John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default Not so merry

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 12:59:49 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 14:20:53 UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 21:38:32 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 20:13:33 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 19:30:19 -0500, Alex wrote:

John H wrote:
Our dog, Kiya, the English Pointer, has eaten nothing for the past five days. Three days ago I took
her to the vet for lack of appetite, lethargy, and shivering. Her temp was 104.3, not exceedingly
high, but high. Her blood tests showed a higher than normal white cell count indicating an
infection. They prescribed antibiotics and pain medication. The next day her temp was 105.2,
seriously high. My vet said they could do no more, take her to emergency hospital. They kept her
overnight, did ultrasound and other tests, but could not find the problem. She still wouldn't eat.
That was day five without eating. But, her temp was down to 102. Good sign. They could find nothing
with their tests. Total spent - right at $2000 for vet tests which showed nothing.

We brought her home. She wouldn't eat anything...dry food, wet food, chicken, cat food...nothing.
She drinks a lot of water though. Last night was up and down with her. Drinking water and going out
to pee. Don't know what to do today. Will give her the antibiotics and pain pills and hope.

Tough.

That's rough, John. No one can say your aren't giving her the best care.

She's ending her seventh day without voluntarily eating. We've been feeding her a 'gruel' of
chicken, rice and broth, blended and fed to her with a syringe. She's still here, and seems a bit
more alive than two days ago. We just keep hoping that soon she'll eat on her own. We've tried the
gamut of foods wet and dry dog food, cat food, human food, even a chunk of prime rib. She just acts
like she's averse to food. She still drinks lots of water, though, and that's good. If that stops
we'll call the vet.

What is coming out the other end.

Only urine. My wife said she saw a little drizzle of poop a couple days ago. But that's it. Today
she seems to be cutting back on the water also. I'm hoping that's my imagination.

Hopefully she's not in pain.

Along with two antibiotics, two appetite enhancers, and a joint supplement, she is getting a pain
pill. She doesn't seem to be in pain, although shivering can be a sign of pain. She shivers quite a
bit.

Yesterday she ate, voluntarily, about a half can (cat food sized) of a prescription dog food. We
were thrilled. But that was it, and this morning she threw that up. Now we're force-feeding her baby
food.