John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default Not so merry

On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 14:10:38 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

True North Wrote in message:
On Monday, 25 December 2017 09:18:18 UTC-4, John H wrote:
Our dog, Kiya, the English Pointer, has eaten nothing for the past five days. Three days ago I took
her to the vet for lack of appetite, lethargy, and shivering. Her temp was 104.3, not exceedingly
high, but high. Her blood tests showed a higher than normal white cell count indicating an
infection. They prescribed antibiotics and pain medication. The next day her temp was 105.2,
seriously high. My vet said they could do no more, take her to emergency hospital. They kept her
overnight, did ultrasound and other tests, but could not find the problem. She still wouldn't eat.
That was day five without eating. But, her temp was down to 102. Good sign. They could find nothing
with their tests. Total spent - right at $2000 for vet tests which showed nothing.

We brought her home. She wouldn't eat anything...dry food, wet food, chicken, cat food...nothing.
She drinks a lot of water though. Last night was up and down with her. Drinking water and going out
to pee. Don't know what to do today. Will give her the antibiotics and pain pills and hope.

Tough.

Sad to hear. This area was really hit with Leptospirosis sp? this fall. Our vet said half the dogs admitted for this disease died. We've heard of at least 4 dogs in our neighbourhood come down with it and one died.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/generalized-conditions/leptospirosis/leptospirosis-in-dogs?network=o&matchtype=b&keyword=%2Blepto%20%2Bd og&creative={creative}&device=c&devicemodel={devic emodel}&placement={placement}&position={adposition }&campaignid=301084445&adgroupid=1279831602144242& loc_physical_ms=5154&loc_interest_ms=&utm_source=b ing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Generalized_Condit ions_Professional_Bing_BMM_US&utm_term=%2Blepto%20 %2Bdog&utm_content=Dog%20-%20Leptospirosis

Didn't hear much about the disease before this. Another problem is Lyme disease. We didn't even have ticks in most of the province until a few years ago. We avoided visiting my sister down in the South West part in the spring in order to protect our Springer Spaniel. Seems global warming is bringing a lot of crap north.
Anyway this year was hard on our eleven and a half year old Springer...spent about $3K on hospitalization meds etc and vets still don't know for sure why he had bi-weekly attacks of no eating, diarrhea and no eating. Now that he's on a permanent routine of antibiotics and pro-biotics his symptoms are less severe and last a day. Hope your guy recovers.

You're full of cheer today.
Let's hope John's puppy is recovering from food poisoning or some
such. We're waiting for some, hopefully, good news.

There isn't much to be cheerful about. Hopefully she'll recover.