Donal

Default Smell the wind

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Right on , Jon. Have you ever been somewhere on land and a nice breeze is
blowing and you just sorta stick your nose into the wind, breathe it in,
sigh, and get *that* feeling? I wonder if non-sailors ever do that?
--

When I wake up in the morning, I can tell if a SW or W wind is blowing. I
don't know how I know that it is a SW wind that is blowing, but it seems to

I think that it stems from my early teens. I grew up beside a lake. I
used to enjoy walking along the shore from the age of about 10. In
autumn(fall) the wind was usually a SW, and often about F6. This wind was
warm, but it carried a lot of rain. I used to walk along the shore(miles
from the nearest human) wearing an anorak with the hood up, to protect me
from the rain. It was very cosy, and warm, as the waves crashed in.

I can't figure out how I *know* that it is a SW that is blowing. Maybe it
is temperature related, ... maybe humidity plays a part .... it might even
be that a SW is more blustery than a wind from any other direction.

Last winter we had a F10 for the first time in many years. I had to drive
down to the coast to see and _feel_ the sea. I don't know why, but it
*was* wonderful.

Regards

Donal