Danny Taddei

Default Best Deck Gun?

I know of several people that have trucked their boats. One of them had
a 65 foot chris that cost a fortune - about 20k all said and done and
even then they had to take the boat apart plus put it in the water in tx
because the bridges east of there are to low.

Another friend shipped a catalina 30 from s. fl to norfolk. The cost of
the truck was only about $1400 but all said and done it was a little of
3k total.

As for crossing the atlantic and so on, I really don't care much for
Europe. I traveled there a lot when I was younger (not by boat - i was a
musical director for several oldie acts). I could live the rest of my
life in the Caribbean and never have a second thought about it. i use to
want to sail to the s. pacific but those that I know that have said
cruising there just wasn't as fun as it was in their minds. They liked
it and obviously have the pat on the back for doing it but for just pure
pleasure of hanging out they all liked the caribbean better overall. (at
least those I know but then again, I met them in the carib and not the
pacific so that would more or less be expected:-)

I've sailed around the med, s. china sea, indian ocean as well as around
the us and I really do like having access to the US and all the great
things that can be bought in the grocery stores here. When I got back to
key west after 1/2 year in central america I nearly went ape s#^t when I
saw 4 flavors of ice-cream in a local convenient store. I've decided I
like the cleaner, finer things as much as the rough stuff. i have to
small children too so for me I am fine hanging out locally now. I do
think I will reconsider when my kids move out someday though.

Wally wrote:
"Danny Taddei" wrote in message

I would never deliver my boat by truck. Boats need to be in the water
and besides the cost is quite high especially with a keel stepped mast.

snip

That's what I was wondering. (I've no idea what that kind of haulage costs.)
How long would it likely take if speed of delivery was of the essence?

My trip from LA to Miami took 7 months, stopping where we liked. it was
probably the most fun of the nearly 5 years I was out sailing. When you
get to where you are going and start day sailing, even if you are going
to a new island ever few days, it is not as fun. You'd think that it
would be more fun but it just didn't seem to be.

Do you not fancy maybe crossing the atlantic and cruising around the Med?

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!

--
Danny Taddei
e-mail me at (remove no-worms-in-a-)