Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default Another misdirected student!

On 12/2/2017 2:39 PM, John H wrote:
On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 13:55:26 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 12/2/2017 1:47 PM, John H wrote:
Just received this in a Facebook message from Nehemias:

Hello Mr. Herring,

You may or may not remember me. I was your 8th grade algebra student for the 1994-1995 schoolyear.
I looked you up because I have been wanting to express my gratitude. That year, I started falling
behind in my assignments. You became concerned for my progress and phoned my mother. You told her
that for you, my learning the material was more important than a grade. And, you gave me the
opportunity to make up every bit of homework I’d missed just so I could learn the important
fundamentals of Algebra.
That was really a turning point in my math education. I’m pleased to tell you that I graduated
from the University of Maryland with a Civil Engineering degree in 2005. I’ve been a practicing
structural engineer ever since, and I’ve currently been promoted to a project manager at a local
consulting firm. I sincerely believe that I wouldn’t be an engineer if it weren’t for you. I’m
happily married with two rambunctious boys and live in Gaithersburg, MD. Mr. Herring, again, I
wanted to thank you for being a great educator who made a difference in my life. I hope you are
enjoying retirement.
Respectfully,
Nehemias Iglesias
P.S.
To this day, I still remember you voice saying all algebraic statements begin with the word “Let”

Yeah, it made the eyes water!

Awesome! Worth more than all the $$ in the world.
Congrats!

Exactly the way I felt. Didn't remember him until I saw his picture. He was a great kid, but had a
bit of a hard time getting started.

I know the feeling well. Math always came hard for me for some reason
which was a major problem in my chosen occupation.