Tim Tim is offline

Default From where come Chicago's Guns?

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 8:49:09 PM UTC-6, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 11/26/17 9:10 PM, Tim wrote:
On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 6:05:46 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 14:32:44 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 11/26/17 1:55 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 12:48:14 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

The answer that works has already been demonstrated in New York City -
tough policing of existing laws; arrest and jail time for low level
offenders; stop and frisk policies; holding precinct commanders
accountable for their crime statistics.

The ensuing drop in crime of all types was unprecedented, and totally
transformed NYC's reputation as an unsafe city.

---

I'm in favor of tough enforcement of all gun and violent crime laws..
We don't have enough jails to lock up many more low level offenders.. I
don't favor building any more for-profit private jails. I oppose stop
and frisk policies without a specific reason, and that reason cannot be
that an individual is black, latino, muslim, et cetera.

So your solution for prison overcrowding is to let those low level
criminals continue down the path of crime until they kill someone and
then lock them up for life?
How is that working in Baltimore?

No, my solution is to build more publicly funded and operated prisons if
they are necessary.

So the idea of rehabilitating minor criminals before they become major
criminals is lost on you. You better build a lot of those prisons.

FWIW, In George Ryan's reign, Illinois tried that and lost badly. They built prisons all over the place until funding ran out. Lots of corruption in the building/bidding process. The state lost badly in the financial dept.. a lot of prisons were halted before they started. raw materials just sat where they were put. When scrap got high people were stealing the rusty girders and selling them for scrap. At least somebody got some use out of it....

Were those new prisons necessary?

George Ryan thought so.