Default Consumer Reports Annual Reliability Survey

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 12:20:34 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/30/2017 11:08 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 09:44:55 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 10/29/17 4:19 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

There's a place called "Corvette Mike's" not far from where I live.
I stopped in a couple of month's ago and looked around.Â* I've never
had a Corvette (although I've driven a couple of them) and fell in
love with this one.Â* It's pricey but I seriously thought about making
an offer, being the impulsive buyer I am.

However, the wiser part of whatever I have left for a brain convinced
me to hold off, go home, talk to Mrs.E. and think about it.

Still thinking.Â*Â* :-)

http://corvettemike.com/used-corvettes-for-sale/1966-nassau-blue-l72/

My dad took one of those in on trade back in the day. I remember. It
rode hard enough that you thought your fillings would fall out. He
traded it to a car dealer buddy of his.

Unfortunately, that's my recollection as well.Â* In addition the frame on
the rag tops quaked when ever you hit a pebble in the road.

Further, for the asking price of that '66 'Vette, you could buy a
brand-new 2017 model that probably provides a much better ride and
certainly would be more reliable, with a new-car warranty, *and* you get
a lot of change back, instead of spending $100,000. Or you could buy a
new Cayman and have a much better car.

That is the kind of car that you park in a heated garage and wipe with
a diaper, only taking it out for a short ride to a corvette show now
and then. You do have a chance of making some money on it tho if you
make a good deal buying it, don't scratch it and find a willing buyer
later. At that point it is art, not a car.

My experience has been that buying as an investment is a myth unless
maybe you keep it for 20 years or so and keep it in mint condition. I
didn't make a penny when I sold my collection ... in fact I lost some money.

It's more the interest you have in them as a hobby and whatever
enjoyment you may get occasionally driving an old classic.

Not unlike art.
Profit comes from making good deals on the purchase and the sale along
with more than a little luck in the potential rise in popularity.