Default Hoorah for the US Navy

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 07:23:50 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."

Hell even a sextant and a decent chart should have found something
that was inhabited.

Made me think of the movie All Is Lost. After losing all of his electronics,
Redford sits down with a (previously unused) sextant and a book on
navigation and figures out how to use it. It's not like he or those women
had more important things to do with their spare time.

At the end of 5 months, I'd be pretty good at navigating with the stars.

You need more than Bowditch, you also need the new almanac and a very
accurate clock/watch for longitude. Otherwise the sextant is pretty
useless.
It is interesting that I could not find a free one online too. I
suppose it is there somewhere but not easy to find.