John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default Consumer Reports Annual Reliability Survey

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 12:18:20 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/26/2017 11:57 AM, John H wrote:
Here are the '10 Least Reliable Cars' from the latest CR reliability survey. The least of the least
is at the bottom.

Chevrolet Camaro
Mercedes-Benz GLC
Jaguar F-Pace
GMC Acadia
Fiat 500
Ford Focus
Ford Fiesta
Volvo XC90
Cadillac Escalade
Tesla Model X

All of these got 'one out of five' in the predicted reliability rating, based on the results of the
owner surveys.

Maybe folks are a bit more honest than we might think when it comes to rating their own cars.

Maybe. But I think when people are asked to participate in a survey
those who have had reliability problems are more likely to respond.

Whenever I read or hear such results I remind myself of the millions of
people driving around with no problems but no compulsion to complete a
survey form, positive or negative.

I probably get a request for a survey once a week from someone. Banks,
stores, Amazon, Nissan (ha) and others. I delete them as fast as they
arrive.

Ditto on the requests. I do two a year. Both for CR. Not because I've had trouble with the items in
question, which range from TVs, air conditioners, heaters, etc to automobiles, but just to help
improve the reliability of their reliability ratings.

Here are the top ten in the 'predicted reliability' category. In this case, the most reliable is on
top:

Kia Niro
Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86
Lexus ES
Lexus GS
Audi Q3
Toyota RAV4
Lexus IS
Toyota Prius V
Toyota Prius C
Infiniti Q70

All of these get a five out of five rating from their owners. It would be interesting to see if the
response rate was bigger for those with problems than those without, thus backing up your thought.