John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default Speaking of pellets

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 18:09:11 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

John H wrote:
I am considering a pellet grill. Looking at Traegers and Cabellas. Anyone
own and used one? Any
advice?

I have a Traeger. Is handy. Great for ribs, triTip, slow cooking. Not as
good for needing high heat grilling. If you want to grill a steak, put it
at the front or the back where the heat comes around the heat shield. I
have a friend, who has a Rectek, I think that is the brand, he likes it
better than the treager and has a great warrantee. Treager also stands
behind their product. My control board went out and they quickly sent a
new one. If you get a pellet grill, cover the heat distribution plate with
aluminum foil. Easy cleanup,

One thing I really like about this one, a Traeger, is that the legs fold up. I would be taking it on
camping trips, so the folding legs are a big advantage.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/gr.../TFB30LZB.html

Came across this recipe on the Traeger site for rib steak:

When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established
(4 to 5 minutes). Preheat, lid closed, for 10-15 minutes.

Combine all ingredients for the rub in a medium bowl and mix well. Season the rib-eyes generously on
both sides with coffee rub. Place the steaks on the grill grate and smoke for 1 hour.

After the steaks have smoked for an hour, momentarily remove the steaks to a platter and set the
temperature of your Traeger to 450 degrees F and preheat. Place a cast iron griddle on the grill
grate to preheat for tomatoes and herbs.

Once the Traeger has preheated put the steaks on the hot grill grates to achieve a good sear.

Flip the steaks once and allow them to cook for about 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until done to your
liking (135 degrees F for medium-rare).

Sounds like it might work, but I wonder what would happen if the 'smoke' cycle was skipped.