Its Me Its Me is offline

Default Speaking of pellets

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 9:00:05 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 12:03:37 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 2:09:13 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
John H wrote:
I am considering a pellet grill. Looking at Traegers and Cabellas. Anyone
own and used one? Any
advice?

I have a Traeger. Is handy. Great for ribs, triTip, slow cooking. Not as
good for needing high heat grilling. If you want to grill a steak, put it
at the front or the back where the heat comes around the heat shield. I
have a friend, who has a Rectek, I think that is the brand, he likes it
better than the treager and has a great warrantee. Treager also stands
behind their product. My control board went out and they quickly sent a
new one. If you get a pellet grill, cover the heat distribution plate with
aluminum foil. Easy cleanup,

The Memphis has a "direct heat" insert for searing which is supposed to make it make like a grill. It has holes above the burn cup to allow direct heat and flames through. It does work, but I kept my Weber for steaks and burgers/dogs. Sometimes I'll smoke the steak on the pellet grill for 15 minutes at low heat, then sear it to order on the grill. Great smoky flavor and still seared.

Pig Candy is really good on a pellet grill. Also wood fired pizza, and you can do braised meats and some baking on a pellet grill, along with spatchcocked chicken in a large iron skillet. Above smoking temps a pellet grill is a just a wood-fired convection oven.

For damn sure won't be doing pig candy. This lack of exercise has me putting on the weight already!

I understand. For some reason, I can make a batch and only eat 2-3 pieces. I take the rest in to work for my coworkers, or split it with my wife for her coworkers too.