Bill[_12_] Bill[_12_] is offline

Default Ding Dong the witch is dead

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/22/2017 9:17 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 07:12:25 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 21:45:33 -0400,
wrote:

The ficus tree is on the curb.
The biggest of those logs is about 1000 pounds. I hope the claw truck
is working well. Not bad work for an old guy tho.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/fichus%20killer.jpg
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Tree%20on%20the%20curb.jpg

I am guessing 3 18 wheelers
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Hort%20pile%2010-21.jpg

Up here most of that would be run through a chipper (diesel operated of
course). Then you'd probably
be down to a couple deuce-and-a-halfs.

I haven't seen a chipper with a 3 foot throat. The county says they
are planning on 2.5 to 3 million yards of stuff so the chipper method
might be to slow. They are here with a gradall and 10 yard dump
trucks. It is going to be a while for that too. Last time (Charley)
they had 18 wheelers.
That was a contractor, this is county DOT.

Some of those chippers are pretty amazing though. I was watching a crew
remove a large tree from a congested, developed area. They use a huge
crane to lift the tree in sections after being cut by a nut with a
chainsaw, hanging halfway up the tree on a rope. They then cut the
limbs off and fed a chipper with long sections up to a foot in diameter.
They bogged the diesel engine down a bit but chewed them up. The
larger tree trunk sections were hauled away uncut to be processed into
firewood or other usages.

Heck they got chippers that take a whole car.