Default Yanmar Offers a Turbo Diesel Outboard

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 13:11:11 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/12/2017 1:05 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 10:52:37 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

THere's something about gas engines running for hours at 3,600 to 4,000
RPM that disturbs me, even though I realize they have cams, etc., that
are designed for it. Seem to remember the general rule was 1,000 to
1,500 hours before a rebuild.

That must have been a "rule" made when engines were still "detroit
iron". Once the Japs showed us you can make a better engine, all of
them will run many thousands of hours.
My Yamamerc 60 had over 3000 on it with no indication it was in need
of anything. I got rid of it because of all of the other $200-500
screw on parts that were nearing end of life.

I wasn't referring to outboards. Was talking about I/Os that use car or
truck engines like the popular GM 350, 454, Ford 460, etc.

OK but these days an engine will easily go 5000 hours or more in a
car. There are plenty of 200,000 mile Hondas, Toyotas and even Ford
trucks around and most got pretty shoddy maintenance in the last half
of their lives.
Cars usually get junked because things other than the engine go bad.
Hell my 71 Jeep 304 had 170k miles on it when I sold it (running) and
same with my 69 Corvette. Those were old technology detroit iron
running 70 miles a day on the beltway plus my "around town". Both had
the **** kicked out of them.
Neither were in salt water tho. I suspect it is corrosion that kills
I/Os, at least that has been what I saw.