Keyser Soze Keyser Soze is offline

Default Yanmar Offers a Turbo Diesel Outboard

On 10/12/17 2:01 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/12/2017 1:24 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/12/17 10:45 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/12/2017 12:33 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:24:56 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/11/2017 5:04 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 13:10:58 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

2:51 PMIts Me
I just read about the Oxe.Â* It uses a 2.0 GM diesel.Â* According
to the article is also costs twice what a 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke
goes for.Â* Ouch!
Diesels 'usually' last longer than a gas job and are much more
economical on fuel. But what you save in fuel costs probably
don't over ride the massive up front expense of the whole unit.
Bad trade off IMO.

===

Increased range because of greater fuel economy is the most common
reason for justifying the higher cost.Â* Diesels use almost 50% less
fuel for the same power output, and have higher low end torque.

Which also allows bigger, more efficient props running at lower RPM.

I was reading an article somewhere else that said the economy might
not make the difference in less than 10,000 hours. They also assume
higher maintenance cost, particularly with a belt drive. I am curious
how the belt is working out on the 7 Marine.

Don't know much about it.Â* I do know that I became a diesel fan when
my two-foot-itisÂ* caught up to me.

When we bought Mrs.E.'sÂ* 1984 Grand Banks I was a little concerned
because it had over 7,000 hours on the little Ford Lehman 120 hp
diesel and I mentioned my concern to the mechanic who did the
pre-purchase inspection.Â*Â* He told me not to worry ... it was just
about broken in.

I'm heading to the boat show in Annapolis this weekend to see a
particular boat that has a Cummins 425 hp diesel.

My birthday is next week.Â* Keep me in mind for a gift if you see
something nice in the 36 to 42 foot range.Â* Twin diesels of course. Cat,
Cummins, Yanmar, whatever ... I am not fussy.

The nicest boats I've seen in that range are the Beneteau Swift
Trawlers...there's a 34/35 footer and a 44 footer. The latter has twin
300 hp diesels. But that's a bit larger than your spec's...