Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default Yanmar Offers a Turbo Diesel Outboard

On 10/12/2017 1:24 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/12/17 10:45 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/12/2017 12:33 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:24:56 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/11/2017 5:04 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 13:10:58 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

2:51 PMIts Me
I just read about the Oxe.Â* It uses a 2.0 GM diesel.Â* According to
the article is also costs twice what a 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke goes
for.Â* Ouch!
Diesels 'usually' last longer than a gas job and are much more
economical on fuel. But what you save in fuel costs probably don't
over ride the massive up front expense of the whole unit.Â*Â* Bad
trade off IMO.

===

Increased range because of greater fuel economy is the most common
reason for justifying the higher cost.Â* Diesels use almost 50% less
fuel for the same power output, and have higher low end torque.

Which also allows bigger, more efficient props running at lower RPM.

I was reading an article somewhere else that said the economy might
not make the difference in less than 10,000 hours. They also assume
higher maintenance cost, particularly with a belt drive. I am curious
how the belt is working out on the 7 Marine.

Don't know much about it.Â* I do know that I became a diesel fan when
my two-foot-itisÂ* caught up to me.

When we bought Mrs.E.'sÂ* 1984 Grand Banks I was a little concerned
because it had over 7,000 hours on the little Ford Lehman 120 hp
diesel and I mentioned my concern to the mechanic who did the
pre-purchase inspection.Â*Â* He told me not to worry ... it was just
about broken in.

I'm heading to the boat show in Annapolis this weekend to see a
particular boat that has a Cummins 425 hp diesel.

My birthday is next week. Keep me in mind for a gift if you see
something nice in the 36 to 42 foot range. Twin diesels of course.
Cat, Cummins, Yanmar, whatever ... I am not fussy.