Scott Vernon

Default Why Oz Went to NZ

I guess the sheep didn't have a strong enough lobby.

SV

"jlrogers" wrote

"We passed tonight the world's best sex industry legislation," said Labour

politician Tim Barnett, who has long championed changing
New Zealand's sex laws.

"It's focused on real harms rather than trying to make moral judgments

about the sex industry," he told Reuters.

Under present laws, prostitution itself is not illegal but associated acts

such as brothel-keeping, soliciting and living off the
earnings of prostitution are.

The bill was passed despite intensive lobbying by church leaders, who

feared it would draw young, vulnerable people into the
industry and spawn new brothels.

There are an estimated 8,000 prostitutes in New Zealand.

According to police figures, there have been 279 prosecutions for

soliciting in the last five years and 14 for living off the
earnings of prostitution.