Jeff Morris

Default Aswell as buying it I would actually quite like to learn to sail it!!!!!!!!

I don't mind the cross post that much - but you could set your clock to the right time.

"Daniel Thompson" wrote in message

"TopCat" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:20:03 -0700, "Daniel Thompson"
wrote:

Is this insane?

I have some experience in dinghy sailing and do indeed have a
qualification - whoopee - in this area.

I have spent a lot of my youth on yachts - generally my Grandad's 32 foot
Westerly - but have not, until now, taken as much interest as my brother,
and do not have a proverbial 'scoobie' when it comes to maps and charts.

I do however have £25000 and a moderate and mobile income.

I will not be single for the rest of my life.

I will not have zero commitment for a two year period at any other time

in
my life.

I do not want to waste a year cow-towing to some jumped up lilttle Hitler
and his crew of merry - force you to do the bad jobs - men.

This is why I want my own yacht and why I want it now.

Do you think it is realistic to expect to find a personally compatible
Yachtmaster with a high degree of experience who would be prepared to

spend
six months teaching me to sail my boat.

The destinations on this escapade could be decided by means of a vote - I
would have the final decision of course - Hitler in effect perhaps!

Daniel.

---

First off please do not cross post, it is bad practice, many people
have filters on cross posted posts so you already have cut the number
of responses to this question.

If you have experience of dinghy sailing, and experience crewing your
grandfathers boat, 6 months training is highly unlikely to be
required.

Navigation can be learned shore side and there are many schools who
will offer you this service. If you feel better take along an
experienced skipper for a few trips, then start taking her out
yourself, build up you trips in stages.

Your dinghy experience has taught you boat handling and how to sail,
you just need to transfer you skills upward now, to be fair this in my
opinion is the easier way round, someone with no dinghy experience
would probably need help on their first trips in a dinghy.

Buy it, do some navigation training, it is not that difficult really,
and start sailing, there is no law that says your first season must be
littered with extended cruises, sail around the harbour mouth until
you feel confident in venturing further.

Do it in you time, you will learn far more than trying to transfer
someone elses experience into your own.

Fair Winds.......
Julian

http://www.topcatsail.co.uk

No more cross posting for me.

Thanks for the confidence building Julian!

---