Peter Wiley

Default Best Deck Gun?

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
I'm planning a deck cannon but I have to see what the most common size of
ball bearings are available.

Nah, golf balls. Cheap, reasonably dense, good range and the ammo
looks innocent. Been there, done that. I have 3 1806 Naval 6 pounder
cannon and 3 1812 Napoleon field cannon scaled down for this. Friend
of mine did the castings before he swapped over to importing castings
from India. Built one up to play with, the others are garden ornaments
at the moment.

Ball bearings are OK for grape shot, but 45 cal lead balls for
muzzle-loading pistols are better. Depends on whether you're trying
for a hull shot or an antipersonnel shot, between solid shot and
grape.

I'll send you a jpeg of the castings next time I'm up the farm, where
the ordnance is stored.

Peter Wiley