Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default new boats

On 9/21/2017 8:12 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 9/21/2017 7:56 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 9/21/17 7:52 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 9/21/2017 2:24 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:20:10 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

On Wednesday, 20 September 2017 12:16:24 UTC-3,
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 08:35:40 -0400, John H
wrote:

I am not sure why customs would care. If you were visiting you
could
bring a boat and if Don tried to register it up there they
would get
the taxes then. (same as here)

Do those damn things need to be registered?

I see canoes down here with Canadian numbers on them. Maybe it is
just
if you ever want to hang a motor on one tho.

Who would want to put a 10hp or greater outboard on a canoe?
Dunno, I have just seen them with numbers. I assumed it was *any*
motor. That is true here. I had to put numbers on my jon boat and I
only had a 7.5 on it.

Same here in MA.Â* Any size motor, even an electric trolling motor,
on a boat or canoe requires it to be registered and display numbers.

I think years ago anything under 10 hp was exempt (Thus the
popularity of 9.9 hp outboards)Â* but then governor Michael Dukakis
realized how much revenue they were losing and pushed the MA
legislature to change the laws.

Another reason for the "under 10 hp" popularity, at least in
Connecticut, back in the day, a 10 hp outboard was the max allowed on
some small lakes. Mercury Outboards, naturally, came up with a 10 hp
outboard that was closer to 20 hp, but it was labeled 10 hp and was
lake acceptable.Â* That same outboard was used to power small
racing hydroplanes and "utility" boats.

Many of the smaller lakes and ponds still have that hp restriction.Â* I
remember reading that many of the 9.9hp outboards (I always think of
Ted Williams and the Sears outboards of the day)Â* only required a
change of the jets in the carburetor to produce 15 or more hp.

As a kid I had the most fun on a 12 foot aluminum boat from Sears and
a 5hp Johnson outboard.Â* I made a tiller extension so I could drive
from the middle seat because that's what made it go the fastest.

As a kid, I learned to water ski behind a 9.9HP.Â* I was a few pounds
lighter then.

Yup. I was able to get a friend (lightweight girl) up using the 12 foot
aluminum boat with the 5 horse Johnson. She plowed a lot, but was
technically skiing.