DS King

Default C&C37

Check out some of the mid-1980s One Tonners and Admirals Cuppers....
definitely
designed to the IOR rule. Definitely a resemblance to the C&C "R" and "+"
series, at least to my eye.

SAIL LOCO wrote:
Doug,
To me "squared" off areas and sharp bends in the hull indicate IOR
influence.

Earlier IOR boats, yes. Then, after a long time, designers figured out that a fast
boat with a fair hull would beat a weird hull with a couple inches longer unrated
LWL.

The C&C 34R and 37Rs don't seem to have these influences. I just
see a regular canoe underbody with relativly flat areas aft.

If it were more like the "big dinghy" style boats, I'd agree. But it is an
evolution of hull shape from racers of that era, IMHO looking a bit like the IOR
boats (of that era, not the earlier broach coaches).

High bridge deck gives you seven steps up and down the ladder and no
room under a dodger.

SAIL LOCO wrote:
I'll take a bridge deck anyday. Easier to get from one side of the cockpit to
the other and they make the boat stronger.

All that. Also, a bridge deck is good to keep the water from gushing down into the
cabin. Frankly, boats without bridge decks strike me as poor risks for hard
sailing.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King