Wally

Default Bad Seamanship & Neal

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message news:5mZJa.21105

It's easier to buy the correct tool as they are inexpensive and come with
stitching instructions showing a lock stitch.....

I'll try and explain it here for you....
I'll label the sides of the fabric.. [A] being the side opposite from the
face you start and [b] being the side you make the initial puncture

through
the fabric which is facing you.

Okay.

A lock stitch is formed pushing the needle
through side [b] to side [A] and pulling a length of thread through to

side
[A] from side [b] equal to one and a half times the distance of the area

be stitched through the first hole.

Okay.

The end of the thread on side [b] is
placed through the eye of the needle and pushed through the second stitch
hole on side [b]..... to side [A] then pulled back a bit to form a loop.

Does the needle pass right through to form the loop is on side [A]? Or only
enough of the eye to make the loop? I assume the needle has to come back
through the same hole from [A] to [b] so that the next stitch can be started
from side [b].

The
thread on side [A] is passed through the loop and the thread in the needle
on side [b] is pulled tight. This will draw the thread from side [A]
slightly into the hole formed by the looped thread from side [b]. Continue
this pattern and tie a knot at the end.

Yup, that sounds very like a sewing machine stitch.

It's way easier with a Sewing Awl..... try Tandy's Leather and ask for the
sewing awl as can be viewed here.

http://www.tandyleather.com/products.asp?dept=73

That looks like the sort of thing - like a manual sewing machine. I'll see
if I can find a UK supplier.

Hope that helps.

It does. Cheers,

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!