Capt. Mooron

Default Bad Seamanship & Neal

Huh?....... zig zag is not a stitch and the original holes wouldn't matter.
He won't have a machine capable of stitching through that thickness and if
he did he wouldn't be asking the question.

Lock Stitch is the correct method and it is done with a threaded awl
designed for the purpose that can be purchased at any leather craft supply
store. If you are concerned about the existing fabric... place a piece of
sail tape over the area and stitch through it. The resulting work will be
stronger and last longer than a commercial machine stitch.

CM