John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default Dogs

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 11:24:08 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 08:52:15 -0600 (MDT), Justan
wrote:

Wrote in message:
This is certainly the truth
http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-...re/2017-07-28/

I am now registered at 5 different adoption places and no joy yet. I
do know the world is awash in pit bull mixes.
I also think these "dog" people really do not understand what training
a dog is supposed to be. When did the "crate" thing start being how
you are supposed to keep a dog and what happened to having a dog who
just comes when you call them? This seems to be a foreign concept to
the people I am talking to.
I guess they are thinking if the dog came when you called them they
wouldn't be in the pound in the first place. I go the other way and
try to make home where the dog really wants to be. It has always
worked out for me even though Mr Ed's "dog whistle" was a bottle
rocket ;-)

My dog has a crate and he thinks it's one of his safe places. We
leave the door open.

I want my dog to think the whole house is his safe place. Particularly
we have several places that they can really call their own.
I also expect them to respect that space.

Our little dog likes to sleep under my desk, if I'm at it. If not she often goes into her crate.