Default Would Chuck Schumer lie?

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 18:35:46 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/26/17 1:06 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 12:54:18 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

Just the other day, someone in Trump's admin claimed 50,000
coal miner jobs have been restored since the Orange Menace took office.
The actual number is about 1700, and the jobs had nothing to do with
Trump. But...hey, it is a fulfilled Trump initiative, right?

I am not sure about the numbers but it really depends on what you call
jobs. If you just mean the miners themselves it may be 1700 but you
also have to add all of the people in that area who the miners spend
their money with (grocery stores, banks, barbers, gas stations etc).
You also have the white collar jobs at the mining company office.
If the mining company closes, the whole town dies. In spite of the
rosy rhetoric about "clean jobs", they have largely failed to
materialize in the coal belt. I agree it would be great if
manufacturing operations opened in Appalachia but logistics makes that
pretty unlikely.

The claim was "coal miner jobs," not coal town jobs. Way back in the
dark ages, when I was the AP Chief of Bureau in SW West Virginia,
serving West Virginia and parts of Ohio and Kentucky, mines were
beginning to close for several reasons, including a drop in demand,
pollution, and safety.

It is an example of what I was saying tho. Trump heard a number of
jobs were on the line because of coal mining and he assumed or just
implied they were all miners.
It is like the way governments sell incentives to bring a particular
industry into a town. They don't talk about direct employment, they
talk about projected total economic growth.
An example would be a sports stadium.