Mr. Luddite Mr. Luddite is offline

Default Pathfinder update ... the outcome

On 6/20/2017 6:16 PM, justan wrote:
Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
On 6/20/17 5:58 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

This has been quite an experience. First time I've ever gone through
this to this extent.

Received a call from Nissan Customer Service today. The dealership is
in the process of installing a new, factory fresh engine in my car. They
are also offering to extend the normal drive train warranty by an
additional three years and are going to issue me a check (don't know how
much yet ... but was told it was "substantial") for my inconvenience.
Car should be ready in the next couple of days.

I had given this a lot of thought as to whether I would accept this as a
settlement and decided that I would. I like the car. The alternative
is to go to arbitration and/or court. I really didn't want to pursue
that because it takes on an adversarial type of relationship, drags
everything out and it isn't worth it in the end. It's just a car.

The other factor is that I have the Massachusetts Lemon Law in my favor.
Lemon Laws vary state to state but in MA there are two conditions
that apply. The first is three failed attempts to fix a specific
problem within one year or 15,000 miles. That one is common to most
states.

The second in MA is this: If your car needs to be in the shop for
warranty repair for a total of 15 business days within the first year
or 15,000 miles the Lemon Law applies. The 15 days need not be
consecutive and the problem/repair requirement can be for any problem
covered by warranty. It doesn't have to be the same problem.

My car has already been in the shop for 18 business days. That means if
I have any future problems at all that requires warranty repair, the
Lemon Law immediately applies and they have to buy it back or replace it.

One thing for sure though. I am going to inspect the car thoroughly,
insist that I drive it for at least a day and ... make sure the heat
works before I accept it.

Make sure they stamp the new engine with the same serial number as the
old engine they are going to trash. Also, was there a final
determination of what went wrong and why?

Rumor has it some disgruntled union guy
sabbotaged the engine by
throwing a coke bottle into the casting.

It might turn out to be an assembly problem like that. The Nissan
Customer Service guy said that's one of the reasons they want to do an
autopsy. It could be that other vehicles may have this problem and
Nissan may need to revise the assembly/quality control procedures.

Funny thing is ... if I had purchased this car three days later, I
probably would never had noticed the problem until next fall. It ran
fine. Just no heat. Fortunately Memorial Day was cold and raw here and
that's when I noticed it. Since then it's been A/C weather.

---
http://www.avg.com