M.L. Browne

Default Old Style Winch Handles

try Defender Industries in CT 1/800/628/8225 or Nautical Traders in Salem
Ma, 978-745-8514.
the amount of trouble you might have to get handles for those "antique"
winches might make new "modern" winches cheaper!
Good Luck.

From: "truebs"
Newsgroups: alt.sailing
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:26:47 -0500
Subject: Old Style Winch Handles

I bought an old boat that does not have those star winch handles. Given I
only paid about a grand and my old winches are fine, I will not buy new
winches. They are the sort of winches that have two slots at the 3 oclock
and 9 oclock position. The top of the winch looks like it would take a
flathead screwdriver.

I am told the winch handles for these things aren't made anymore. But if
they were, what would they be called? Is there a uniform name that I could
use to search ebay and other internet sites??? Are they all Merriman winch
handles? Or is there another name???

Much appreciated.