Hugo 'NOx' Tyson

Default Citizen Yachting Watch - JR4xxx

(Chris Brady) writes:

* Sailhawk Eco-Drive Yacht Timer Combination Quartz Watch --- The
Stars and Stripes America's Cup 2003 Official Watch. Features time and
calendar in 22 time zones,

1/100 second chronograph that measures up to 24 hours,

That's a yachting (racing) feature.

99 minute countdown timer

That's also a yachting (racing) feature.

....I can see no extra features for yachting that these two watches
provide over and above what my very considerably cheaper Casio basic
sports timer watch already has (that is apart from the Eco-Drive
feature).

Whilst the waterproof feature is always useful for yachting, where are
the other features necessary for yachting/sailing?

Like what? Name some? It's *watch*, not a GPS, nor a compass, nor a
barometer, nor a sextant.

Specifically I'm referring to the complete lack of any navigation
functions including direction estimation, tacking angles, ability to
read in the dark (e.g. a back-lit display which my Casio has) -
important for night sailing, and wind direction and strength
estimation - to name a few.

How would a watch do these things? (except read in the dark - are you sure
it's not luminous?) You may as well say "it doesn't do any sailing
functions such as reefing, tacking, trimming and sheeting - and it can't
even be used as an anchor!" ;-)

Certainly there are absolutely NO instructions in the accompanying
booklet to describe the yachting functions (if they exist at all), not
even how to use the rotating bezel.

If you can't work out how to use a rotating bezel on your own, no amount of
help from here or from a manual will be able to teach you.

The other SERIOUS issue I have with the watch is the button marked C
in the booklet. This is very easy to inadvertantly press with my
jacket sleeve and doing so appears to move the hour hand to indicate
the incorrect time. This is not a fault I would expect for a watch
that cost me over £200.

Is this the feature "retractable hands for display visibility" that you
mentioned above? If you press C again does it go back to "correct" time?

Citizen have deigned to reply to my emailed enquiries for further
information.

Did you mean "not deigned" ? Are you American? ;-)

- Huge