Default Teachers’ Unions Handcuff Schools

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 06:47:04 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

Long but well written:

https://www.city-journal.org/html/ho...ols-12102.html

"When school board representatives sit down with union officials to negotiate a labor contract,
neither party is under pressure to pay attention to worker productivity or the system's overall
competitiveness: if the contract allows some teachers to be paid for hardly working at all, and
others to perform incompetently without penalty, there is no real economic danger for either side.
After all, most of the monopoly's customers, the schoolchildren, have nowhere else to go."

Sad, but true.

The other problem is the teachers sit on both sides of the negotiating
table. There is nobody arguing for the students or the taxpayer.
That is how we end up with the most expensive education in the world
and the #26-#27 result.
It is similar to the lawyer/big medicine/insurance cabal that drives
up our medical cost with mediocre result.