Mr. Luddite Mr. Luddite is offline

Default Busy day at the office ...

On 4/10/2017 4:34 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 4/10/17 4:24 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/10/2017 2:50 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 13:24:51 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

There were studies and reports available during the time Agent Orange
was used that indicated it was a severe health hazard to humans, but
since it was the US military that was using it, the reports were
ignored.

"The military" had nothing to do with it.
Dioxin (2,4,5-T) was still in wide use in the US until the 70s and not
really outlawed until the 80s. You could buy it at Hechingers up into
the early 70s. It was the "go to" herbicide in agriculture.
The more dangerous TCDD (2,3,7,8) is a byproduct of 2,4,5-T,
particularly if it is burned. That may explain the spotty occurrence
of "Agent Orange" disorder and why farmers were not affected as much
as soldiers. There was also a dosage factor. Farmers use as little as
necessary because it is not cheap. DoD used it by the truckload.
The other component of Agent Orange, 2,4-D is still available anywhere
they sell weed killer. It is in most "lawn safe" weed killers like
"weed n feed".

I suspect anything with "killer" or "...cide" in the name is going to
come with human health dangers and is not good for you.
Most military chemical agents started as insecticides. That is why it
is hard to control them. A country can quickly switch their bug spray
factory over to making poison gas and it is not even a major change,
just a slightly different recipe. The application method is also
similar.

How many countries have used chemical weapons in warfare since WW1? Only
ones I can think of is Syria and Iraq when Saddam was around.

This is really getting hilarious, in a sad way.

How many countries have used nuclear weapons in warfare since WW I?
There's only one I can think of.

How many countries have used napalm in warfare since WW II? I don't know.

Sorry you find my question so hilarious. It was a serious question and
I don't know the answer.

The fact that I was asking about chemical weapons, (i.e. nerve gases)
and not nuke bombs or napalm seems to have gone over your head.