Default Thanks guys - for the laptop help!

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 16:23:12 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

I would have been happy if they'd stuck with Win 3.1 for Workgroups forever. I loved it.

W/95 was the release that brought LAN management to the masses. That
replaced W3.11 WFWG. I admit it was easier to set up a network. That
also morphed to NT which has it's share of fans. W/98 was really the
bug fix as much as anything and SE made it very solid if you had all
of the patches. Most of the crashes were actually caused by things you
loaded on top of SE. Memory management has always been shaky with MS
and they let too many people have the keys to the kingdom. They kept
stepping on each other's patch.
XP was supposed to fix that and it actually works a whole lot better.
The best I can figure 7 was supposed to address security holes in WiFi
(I know networking got more cumbersome). W/8 added tablet support and
10 is aimed at taking MS to a subscription model according to the
chatter I hear.