Bill[_12_] Bill[_12_] is offline

Default Thanks guys - for the laptop help!

wrote:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 11:58:44 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 08:39:39 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Without going into details, powerline hits can cause unpredictable
things to happen. Recovery can be easy or it can be
difficult.

Power hits can be fairly easily mitigated if you have decent surge
protection and UPS. Working with 1000 customers who refused to turn
off their computers and unplug them every afternoon when we had a
thunderstorm got us pretty good with surge protection. Most of that
knowledge world wide came from Florida.

The only recent hardware failuresI could attribute to powerline
are a gfi outlet and a device that had some operational issues
even after a factory reset and reconfiguration. The only surge
protection we have is built into the mains panel. Most of my
devices are inexpensive and easily replaceable. I can't justify
the cost of individual surge protectors.

Surge protection goes farther than simply plugging in a few
protectors. For most of the country, that may work for you but we get
an ass kicking thunderstorm just about every day for half the year.

Our biggest problems in the 80's was Colorado. Lots of lighting, and the
disk controller we had had a **** power supply. Pass transistors that
passed ever line glitch through.