Default Thanks guys - for the laptop help!

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:18:35 -0400,
wrote:

Even in the corporate mainframe world users eventually become forced
into hardware and software upgrades. It's too expensive for the
vendors to make and support software that is backwards compatible with
older hardware, and the hardware vendors have no market incentive to
do more than is absolutely necessary. Eventually the increased
reliability and environmental efficiency of the newer CPUs becomes
compelling and that triggers both hardware and software upgrades.
The same is true with PCs if you want to take advantage of better
graphics, network speeds, larger hard drives, energy efficiency, etc.

I understand that but if I was running a data center, I would still
stay one or two levels back. Let the pioneers catch the arrows.
XP does not seem to have a problem handling any network speed or hard
drive I throw at it and it is hard to find a PC that uses less power
than an old laptop. It is certainly not going to be that I7 sports car
John is looking at. If energy is an issue, you want the smallest,
slowest machine that will get the job done hence my W/98 server and my
WYSE "thin client" machines.