Default Thanks guys - for the laptop help!

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 05:45:29 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/29/2017 7:45 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 18:52:36 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/29/2017 6:29 PM, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
I'll let you know what I finally get, but I'm leaning towards that HP now. Thousand bucks for all
that seems like a decent deal.

https://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-17t-L...100317268.html

Looks like a nice one. Now that a few of us have suggested HP, you'll
probably have all kinds of problems with it. :-)

I am also starting to shop for a new laptop. This one is getting a bit
long in the tooth although it still works fine. Not too excited about
Win 10 though, but I suppose I'll get used to it.

Get used to paying Microsoft a recurring charge too. That is their
goal. They want subscription software, not pay and run forever.

I have still not found anything I want to do that XP won't do for me.
Maybe I should just follow you guys around and pick up the machines
you throw away. ;-)

Bear in mind I was in the computer biz for 30 years, dealing with
thousands of customers over the years. The ones who were most
successful always ran a generation or two behind the bleeding edge.
Their hardware was field tested, all of the ECs were installed and the
"lemons" were history. (imagine the poor suckers who bought a "noodle
snatcher") The same was true of the software. Older versions had all
of the bugs shaken out.

Doesn't mean squat when the older computer with an older OS ****s the
bed due to a mother board blowing up or the hard drive crashing. I am
not into computer repair or building like you are. When it dies I buy a
new one.

If you are running a imager like Acronis, losing a hard drive is no
big deal (viruses etc) You just stuff in the new drive and reload the
last good image you have. It is just a few clicks after you boot the
recovery CD. If I simply replace a bad machine with one that is
similar, that image will basically work too, although I may need to
tweak a few drivers. Running XP, Microsoft has stopped screwing with
you about changing hardware. In fact you can run multiple machines on
the same license.
If your plan is to just buy a new machine every time you have a
glitch, with a new OS to learn and rebuilding your PC from scratch
you are screwing with PCs more than me.