Mr. Luddite Mr. Luddite is offline

Default Kellyanne, help me out

On 3/14/2017 2:13 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 07:12:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I'm OK with this one, a 1971 Monkey Wards. It is just a magnetron and
a spring wound timer. Not much to break and it gets the job done.

Just stand at least 30 feet away from it when it's running. :-)

I bet the shielding on the original ovens is better than today.
They were really afraid of microwaves in the late 60s and the regs
were pretty tight.

I think you would lose the bet.

The allowable leakage spec for a microwave oven in 1969 was 10mw/cm2
Today, the leakage spec is half that ... 5mv/cm2

In 1969, 155 microwave ovens were surveyed in New York, Mississippi, New
Jersey and Massachusetts and tested for leakage. 32 percent of the
155 ovens had leakage in excess of the 10mv/cm2 standard.

It's 46 years old. I doubt it would pass the leakage test, even to the
1969-1970 standards.