Poco Deplorevole Poco Deplorevole is offline

Default And how old do you want to live to?

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 8:55:59 AM UTC-5, amdx wrote:
On 3/8/2017 6:12 AM, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 18:20:08 -0600, amdx wrote:

Interesting article about the downside of aging personally and for
society.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/

Mikek

---

When given the choice of when to start Social Security, I calculated the break even point between
reduced-early and full-later benefits to be about age 80. A big part of the rationale was that I
smoked (a lot) for almost 40 years. I figured if I made it past 80 I wouldn't mind the lower monthly
SS check, but I'd just pat myself on the back for each extra year.

Still feel that way.

As far as breakeven point I've seen 84 years old referenced many times
as the age.
I just pulled this from a US News and World Report article,
"Depending on taxes, inflation, and investment returns, the range of
break-even ages goes from 81 to 86 1/2. There is a similar range of
break-even ages in the comparison of benefits begun at age 66 to age
70—from the age of 84 to nearly 87."
I'm mostly retired now at 61, but I expect to wait until 66 and 2
months, my full retirement age, before I collect.
I never smoked, both mom and dad did, my dad died at 74 with major
heart disease and my mother at 84 with COPD.
Mikek

---

I didn't add in any income from investing the money.