[email protected] tschnautz@gmail.com is offline

Default Hurricane Matthew

Oct 19Flying Pig
Greetings!

WayneB wrote:

Glad to hear that you came through it OK. We just came down the
Florida ICW over the last few days after hiding out in a creek off the
St John's River, just north of Green Cove Springs. The east coast of
FL is littered with well over 100 boats that broke loose during the
storm.

How did you attach all of those extra lines to the mooring?

My link in the log shows many beached boats right in a small creek, let
alone up and down the east coast, and a power boat sank at the Downtown
Marina dock.

My mooring was the two Megabraids looped through and led up.
That's all the line that would fit through like that (double lines due to
mooring eye). One of the second ones on each side (the 3-strand, a dock
line) was passed over one of them, and the bitter end led up through the
splice point, leading to a pull on both of the legs of the eye. The regatta
braid, as a single line, I could get inside the eye; that one I did a
bowline before running the line up to the chock.

Both of those on each side were firehose chafe protected. Several of the
boats in the field used a short length of chain as their
belt-and-suspenders. Pix of my chafe resistance also in my picture link...

We've just now finished putting it all back together, the bimini and
enclosure having waited until we got a calm day to install some tell tails
on the main, made possible by not having the bimini in the way of easy reach
to attach/sticky.

Where are you these days?

L8R

Skip and Lydia

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any
kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now.
Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

- Etienne Griellet

Thanks Skip. I rarely post here but I wanted to say I always apreciate reading of your adventures over the years..,