Garry Beattie

Default Cruising tips for small yachts

That is a good idea. How do you mount it? Saw the ground stake off and
add
an eyebolt? It would have to be left out all day.

I tried a couple of different ways to mount them including cable ties and
screws. These were OK but not overly successful and a bit messy.

I even hoisted one to the top of the mast using a spare spinnaker rope, but
when we were caught in a swell once I watched as it swang wildly from side
to side before launching itself off the spinnaker rope and into the water.

Now I have them mounted on my solar panel bracket at the rear of the boat. I
actually have 2, one on either side. I just welded a short section of
stainless steel pipe, the same diameter as the plastic pipe that came with
the light, upright from the top of the solar panel mount. The light then
slips over this pipe and is a very tight fit.

They have been mounted there now for over 6 months without any problems at
all. They turn on every night by themselves and turn off at sun up and
charge during the day. Basically for me I mounted them 6 months ago and have
not had to touch them since. They work perfect!

If you want to see some photo's I can email them to you.

best regards

Garry Beattie
Ocean Spirit Trailer Sailer &
Small Yacht Cruising Emagazine